In 2008, for the first time ever, the Nimbin Agricultural and Industrial Society (A&I) opened the showground for camping and parking for the MardiGrass weekend. The A & I don’t get the Government grants they used to get and urgently need funds to maintain the place. They can also help minimise the impact of so many visitors to the village over the big weekend.
A warm welcome to all campers and visitors to the 27th Nimbin MardiGrass. The camping area at the Nimbin Showgrounds has been the site of the annual Nimbin Show since 1922. Over the years it has been the venue for agricultural shows, horse riding and jumping events, car shows, rallies and music festivals. In the past it has acted as a sports ground for cricket, soccer, rugby league, and currently AFL teams. In 1973 it hosted the official opening of the world famous Aquarius Festival. Also during the ’70s it was home base for the Nimbin Tug o’ War team which for five consecutive years won the Australian National Championships. It has served as a hub for large community events.
This is the 12th year the grounds have been opened up to campers for the Nimbin MardiGrass. Income generated from this has been poured back into the site to extend and improve the amenities. The Showgrounds are maintained by a small group of dedicated volunteers who meet weekly to repair and look after the area
Camping Rules for the comfort and safety of all campers:
- Don’t be greedy in the shower
- Camping only in designated areas
- Open fires are to be restricted to central communal fire area – No private or individual fires in the camp area
- First Aid and Fire Extinguishers available at the Canteen
- Emergency Assembly Area is at front entrance parking area
- Keep noise to a respectable level. Be considerate of your neighbors
- No generators!
- No loud drumming after midnight
- Keep your space clean and tidy – bags provided
- Due to the huge number of campers at the Showgrounds during the MardiGrass Weekend we recommend that you do NOT bring pets, however owners may do so at your own risk.
There are three areas set aside; A quiet area, a reasonably noisy area, and a family area, ask at gate.
Fri, Sat, Sun. 7:00am to 7:00 pm
Important Nimbin Phone Numbers:
Hospital: 6689 1400
Doctor: 6689 1410
Police: 6689 1244
We hope you have a safe, happy and enjoyable Mardi Grass!