In 2008, for the first time ever, the Nimbin Agricultural and Industrial Society (A&I) opened the showground for camping and parking for the MardiGrass weekend. The A & I don’t get the Government grants they used to get and need funds to maintain this valuable village resource. They can also help minimise the impact of so many visitors to the village over the big MardiGrass weekend.
A warm welcome to all campers and visitors to the 30th Nimbin MardiGrass!
The camping area at the Nimbin Showgrounds has been the site of the annual Nimbin Show since 1922. Over the years it has been the venue for agricultural shows, horse riding and jumping events, car shows, rallies and music festivals. In the past it has acted as a sports ground for cricket, soccer, rugby league, and currently AFL teams. In 1973 it hosted the official opening of the world famous Aquarius Festival. Also during the ’70s it was home base for the Nimbin Tug o’ War team which for five consecutive years won the Australian National Championships. It has served as a hub for large community events, and during the life threatening fires in 2019, it was the evacuation centre for the Nimbin area sheltering both people and animals.
This is the 14th year the grounds have been opened up to campers for the Nimbin MardiGrass. Income generated from this event has been poured back into the site to extend and improve the amenities. The Showgrounds are maintained by a small group of dedicated volunteers who meet weekly to repair and look after the area.
Guidelines for the comfort and safety of all campers:
- Camping fees/MardiGrass passes can be booked online now or bought at the Showgrounds when you arrive
- Children twelve years and under: free!
- Camping bookings are per person, not per vehicle or per tent
- Bring your own campervan, caravan or tent
- Small number of powered sites – First come, first served
- Keep your space clean and tidy – bags provided
- Hot showers – Don’t be greedy in the shower!
- Camping only in designated areas: quiet, noisy, and family
- There are three areas set aside: Quiet area, reasonably noisy area, and a family area
- Keep noise to a respectable level – Be considerate of your neighbours
- No generators!
- No loud drumming after midnight!
- No dogs please!
- We recommend that you do NOT bring pets, however owners may do so at your own risk
- Canteen open all weekend
- Open fires are to be restricted to central communal fire area – No private or individual fires in the camp area
- Firewood supplied
- Please refrain from having fires in the day – it’s only wasting valuable firewood
Fri, Sat, Sun. 7:00am to 7:00 pm
- First Aid and Fire Extinguishers available at the Canteen
- Emergency Assembly Area is at front entrance parking area
Important Nimbin Phone Numbers:
Hospital: 6689 1400
Doctor: 6689 1410
Police: 6689 1244
Camping is also available at the Nimbin Showgrounds, before and after MardiGrass.
33 Cullen St
Phone 04 5887 2228
We hope you have a safe, happy and enjoyable Mardi Grass!